Monday, February 13, 2012

Who's Who in the Sound of Music: Frau Schmidt and Franz




Name: Beth Bentley
Year in School: Junior
Major(and minor): B.A. Music Major, Child Welfare Minor

What character are you playing? 
Frau Schmidt

What is your favorite part about being in the Sound of Music? 
Being involved with the Sound of Music has given me the opportunity to take part in a large scale musical, which is something I’ve never had the chance to do before.  This musical is at an entirely different caliber than what you would see at the high school level.  I have enjoyed working on my acting skills and seeing a college level production from the other side.

What have you had to work the hardest at with your part? 
I’ve had to work on my acting..a lot! My role does not have any songs, so I am mainly an acting character in this musical.  Therefore, my main focus has been improving my acting skills and conveying the right messages and emotions through my words and actions.

What is your favorite song or scene of the show? 
One of my favorite scenes would have to be where Maria teaches the children “Do-Re-Mi.”  It’s so great to see the Von Trapp children being able to learn and enjoy music again!

Have you been in any other Mansfield Musicals? 
I haven’t! That is why one of my favorite parts of being involved with this musical would be the sheer joy that comes from being involved with something at a higher level than you have ever had the chance to be a part of and experience.

When you aren't at musical rehearsal what could we find you doing? 
While not at musical rehearsal, you can find me working in the Wal-Mart Deli, hustling to and from classes, practicing, singing with the Concert Choir or Mansfieldians, doing homework, and being involved with Sigma Alpha Iota Professional Music Fraternity, serving as the chapter’s Editor.

What are a few of your favorite things?
Dogs with blue collars named George in my backyard
Sisters to sing with and songs that aren’t too hard
Mac Salad to eat when I am hungry
These are a few of my favorite things! 


Name: Matt McGahey
Year in School: Junior
Major: Music Education (Voice)


What character are you playing?
Franz


What is your favorite part about being in the Sound of Music?
I just like working on the show, honestly. It is fun to be cast and get to pick apart a character and then portray them…it is a challenge, but I enjoy it.


What have you had to work the hardest at with your part?
Just figuring out how to deliver my lines in context of the scenes. I had to work on his back-story quite a bit as well in order to interpret the lines and how to say them. So I would say interpreting the lines has probably been the most difficult part of this character.


What is your favorite song or scene of the show?
I can’t say I have a favorite, but I enjoy any song or scene with the kids. It’s just fun to watch them and listen to them sing.


Have you been in any other Mansfield Musicals?
I was in last year’s show, the Drowsy Chaperone, and I played George.


When you aren't at musical rehearsal what could we find you doing?
I’m usually very busy doing homework, practicing, involved in other organizations (MTO and ACDA mostly), or working. When I’m not doing any of those things, I generally am with my friends or just trying to relax a bit.


What are a few of your favorite things?
Swimming, and Sailing and being a beach bum,
Music, and Singing, and acting is so fun,
Spending all day with my friends just hanging,
These are a few of my favorite things!


**Stay tuned for more of Who's Who in the Sound of Music!**
Missed the first post about the Sound of Music? Read it Now!
Want to see more of Who's Who? Mother Abbess, Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment