Sunday, February 26, 2012

Who's Who in the Sound of Music: Captain Georg von Trapp




Name: Derek Gracey

Year in School: Senior

Major(and minor): Music Education and Vocal Performance 

What character are you playing?  
Captain Georg von Trapp

What is your favorite part about being in the Sound of Music? I have really enjoyed working with the other cast members. Danielle (Maria) and I are very good friends, so it has been a great experience to share the stage with her for our last show at Mansfield University. This is a great classic musical, and I am thrilled to be a part of it!

What have you had to work the hardest at with your part? I have had to work the hardest on being a strict military father who runs a no-nonsense household. In real life, I am a fun-loving and easy-going person, so this has been a little bit of a struggle for me. 

What is your favorite song or scene of the show? My favorite scene is when the Captain and Maria argue intensely. Then he hears his children singing and realizes what he's been missing.

Have you been in any other Mansfield Musicals? Yes! I was Rapunzel's Prince in Into the Woods, Herb Lee in My Favorite Year, and a chorus member in last year's production of The Drowsy Chaperone. I was also in Assassins at the Arcadia in Wellsboro. In addition to the musicals, I have also been very active in Mansfield's opera productions. 

When you aren't at musical rehearsal what could we find you doing? When I'm not at musical rehearsal you could probably find me in Butler practicing for something else! Between my solo repertoire and ensembles, I am kept very busy. I also direct the church choir at the First Baptist Church in Mansfield, which I enjoy very much! Aside from all of that, I really enjoy spending time with my friends in whatever ways possible! 


What are a few of your favorite things?
Music and singing, and laughing when falling 
Wing night with friends, after some volley balling 
Talking to friends whether it winter or spring, 
These are a few of my favorite things!


**Stay tuned for more of Who's Who in the Sound of Music!**
 
Missed the first post about the Sound of Music?
Want to see more of Who's Who?

No comments:

Post a Comment