Saturday, September 22, 2012

DIY: Chevron Wall (with slanted ceilings)

In my last post I introduced you to my new wall in my bedroom. I painted it a chevron pattern  with two colors. All the how-to articles online were for square/rectangle walls and none accounted for slanted ceilings. So here is how I did it with going totally insane. (I apologize in advance for the wordiness of the directions it's sort of tricky to explain).

First Check out the before and after to see if this How-To will help you.




The first task is taping. This is a huge colossal pain in the bum. But honestly once you get going it does get easier.

Step 1: Find your most important stripe. Look at your wall and determine where you absolutely want a stripe to be. For me it was where the straight and slanted wall met. I wanted there to be a nice focal point right there so I began with that stripe first. (Picture 1)

Step 2: Get out your pencil and measuring stick. Draw a straight line right where you want the middle of your stripe to hit. From there you need to decide how wide you want each zig-zag to be and how high/low you want to deviate from the center line. I chose a foot apart and 8 inches up/down from the line I drew to each point. (See my pencil line in Picture 2)

Step 3: Now that you know the height and width make little hash marks along your pencil line for your width (12 inches). Then measure the height you chose alternating up and down from each hash mark (8 inches). As soon as you have tiny points marking these you can start connecting with tape. If you end up with some incomplete zig-zags like I did (left portion on either wall) it will make it harder but you have to sort of eye-ball the angle to get it to match the other angles. Also If you have a door (like I do) I sort of fake measured over the door with my marks so the pattern looks like it would if there was no door there. (ie like I just cut a chunk out of the pattern).

Step 4: Once you have your first stripe taped it gets a lot easier. From this point you have two options. just pick a distance you want each stripe apart and start measuring down from the points. OR if you have an accent color stripe like I did I decided to tape that stripe next. For this portion I chose about how high up I wanted the center of the stripe and make little dots on the wall there (every 12 inches) Then I measured 8 up and down from each of those marks to match the stripe above.

Step 5: After I added the accent color stripe I did the stripe right between those. I figured out what was half way between my first and second stripe and came up with my distance for between each stripe. I think it ended up being about 6/7 inches. So from there I could measure 7 inches down from each  bottom point of my first stripe to get the top of my 3rd stripe. And then the 8 inches down to form the top points I just made to what would be the bottom. Then tape.

Step 6: Repeat step 5 measuring up or down from your already formed stripes to make the ones left over.

Step 7: When tackling the top half of the wall with the slanted ceiling use the same process as before for as much of the wall as possible. You will run into issues since there is a slant so you have to try your hardest to keep the tape parallel and guessing sometimes at the exact angle. One way to fake the same angle is measuring the width of a stripe or space (not from points but from actual line) Then trying to keep it consistent as the stripe meets the slanted ceiling.

Step 8: (If your walls are split with a door) Once I completed the first half on the right I started the second half. NOTE: you do not have to tape the accent stripe before taping the others. You merely just need to have it marked with pencil first. (Picture 3. ps. I ran out of tape first night and this is where I ended)

Step 9: Complete taping stripes on both sides and don't forget to tape off the walls, ceilings, door frame, or and molding. (Picture 4)

Tips for Taping: Make sure your tips of the zig-zags are cleanly taped. Buy the more expensive tape that claims a clean line- I didn't and I regret it. Try to make as smooth tape lines as possible. A ruler, straight edge, or even an angle would make this project a lot easier.

NOW- take a huge breath because the worst is over and now it's time to paint.

Step 10: Grab a paint brush/small roller or any preferred painting device and start your first coat. I was anxious so I painted the accent stripe first. Also that way I wouldn't forget and paint it the wrong color. (Picture 1)

Step 11: Paint the second color stripes for first coat. (you will most assuredly need a second coat) (Picture 2)

Step 12: Wait the directed amount of time before you go in for you second coat (mine was 4 hours) This time really make sure you are applying it evenly. The goal is to not have to do a third coat. (Picture 3)

Step 13: Wait the amount of time until it's dry enough you can rub your hand quickly across the surface then remove the tape. And Ta-da! You did it! You painted your wall with a chevron pattern and didn't even let those slanted ceilings scare you.

Tips for Painting: Apply even and THIN coats. It's better to do more coats then end up with the paint dripping or smudging. Be very careful when removing tape and find a good angle to pull it off at. Keep a wet rag on hand even the neatest painters can make a mistake!


NOW- give yourself a pat on the back and a nap. Good Job! This was no easy task! 

If any of the directions are confusing please don't hesitate to comment on this post with questions I will get back to you quickly with a more clear explanation! 

No comments:

Post a Comment