Monday, May 28, 2012

Blueberries got me a job!

This summer I moved from Mansfield (school apt) back in with my family to Ludlow, MA (Western, MA). Right now it's just me, my parents, and 3 cats in one tiny little duplex! It's really much too small for the "6" of us, and we are looking to move again soon especially with my siblings wanting to move here too. My first whole week of summer has been spent organizing a portion of a room to hold some of my belongings to function as a bedroom (more on that at another time), dieting and exercising (which I have written about), and spending some time with my parents and getting to know the area. But the time sort of came that I began to ask myself now what?? Part of that now what was finding a job. 

Before I started applying I made a list of somethings I was looking for in a job (ideally): 
1. Sunlight, a place with windows or working outside.
2. To work with kids (good for resume)
3. To do something that feels fulfilling 
4. To not totally and completely dread going to work
5. To get paid hourly at least minimum wage (aka not wait tables)

I started thinking about my summer availability: 
I am gone most of the first week of July for the choir games, a long weekend around July 21st for a wedding and ideally mid August for a week or so on a personal vacation. This all adds up to a lot of requested time off from a standard job... Who on earth will hire me with so many days I can't work?? 

I started applying a few random places just to see if I could land interviews. I didn't hear anything back so started thinking a little more outside the box. I decided last night to check my areas craigslist for job postings and came across this one! It was for a 2 week summer theatre camp! Aha! I thought finally something I could be really great at. So I shot them an email to express interest. Evan, the guy in charge sent me an email back asking me to call and set up an interview. So I called last night and we ended up talking for nearly 20 minutes!! 

I had my interview today: I met Evan and Andrea at a coffee place in Northampton to have an interview. During the interview we chatted a lot about the program, but then they decided to play me some of the music for the show so I could hear it. Super cute and sends a great message. They sang a song for me called Blueberries, teaching about sharing and respect! After they played me a few more songs it was my turn to sing. I swallowed my on-the-spot nerves and asked if they would teach me a line or two of the song Blueberries. We jammed for a few minutes on the sidewalk and I was actually impressed with how great of a blend we had! I felt so happy and excited about everything, and I could feel their energy and excitement too! I left happy but nervous because they said they had a ton of people apply! A half our later they called me back and offered me the position! I think it had a lot to do with how great we all sounded together singing Blueberries. I am excited to sing agin with them soon! 

I accepted and it seems like all of my dreams for my summer job came true:

1. Sunlight! 
The camp is on a farm, and much of the day is spent outside!
I will be working at Stone Soup Farm, so cute!


2. To work with children...
21 children to be precise! 


3. To do something that feels fulfilling
Enstilling the love of music and theatre into kids? I would call that really fulfilling!


4. To not dread my job
I will absolutely not dread this job at all, in fact it's the most exciting thing about Western Mass right now! The people I will be working with seem so great! I can't wait to get to know them! 


5. To get paid hourly at least minimum wage... 
Try double :) 


I couldn't be happier with the outcome of the past two days. I feel so blessed and am thankful to God for this amazing opportunity. I will get a chance to sing, teach, and use my creative abilities this summer! I can start to get to know some people around my age in the area, and I won't have to take any days off from this job! If you want to know more about the super cute program we are doing with them check it out: Shiprock and Anchordog and feel free to read about it and like it on FB at the Shiprock and Anchordog Project! 

**All the photos used in this blog I do not claim to own, they are from the sites linked above!**

Now as lucky as I might seem, I still am looking for other jobs, I have a few more workable weeks of the summer and am trying to find other short gigs to make a few! Let me know if you hear of any! 

Happy job hunting to the rest of you, praying you catch a lucky break like me! 

1 comment: