Saturday, October 26, 2013

New Job, New House, New Life.

Hello friends,

It's been much too long since I've updated my blog. I really am sorry for not keeping you in the loop. So much has happened from the end of summer until now. I'll just give you the highlights.

Towards the end of summer I was contacted by a school in MA for a teaching interview. The interview went very well and several days later I was offered the job! (I couldn't believe it!) God really is good.

As you can imagine getting a teaching job so close to the start of school was pretty stressful. I whipped myself into full planning mode and tried to get everything ready before the kids started showing up.

The school I work at is Northbridge Middle School. I teach general music 5th-8th grade and I also instruct a choir after school. I LOVE MY JOB! Teaching is every bit as wonderful as I had hoped it would be. It is a ton of work, and there have been MANY challenges, but I find that at the end of the day I always feel happy. Happy to have a job, happy to have the power to impact the lives of young people, and just happy.

Now, I'm not trying to paint a one-sided picture here, like I said there have been many challenges. Without getting into too much detail I'll just mention several challenges. Classroom management, creating and implementing lesson plans, developing a curriculum, figuring out where to get resources, etc. are all things that have caused lots of stress and hard work. But as I said above, even with all the stress and headaches at the end of the day it seems worth it.

I feel like I've been doing a good job so far with teaching. I'm learning so much everyday. I've gotten some very nice feedback from administration- including teacher of the month! (I know, I was shocked too!) It feels so nice to have a supportive and helpful administration!


My classroom is coming together nicely. I'll post some more pictures very soon.

When the school year began I was living with my parents near Springfield, MA and driving a little over an hour to work every morning. This was not the most pleasant as you can imagine. I started looking for apartments a bit closer and found one that I loved in Worcester. (only 15-20 minutes away).

I moved into the apartment at the start of October and I am loving it. The apartment is finally starting to look like a real home- and I'm anxiously awaiting getting all my pictures hung up and finishing up a few final touches. I really enjoy the space and for the most part living by myself (with Maggie) has been great. I do however find it quite lonely. Especially since I'm brand new to the area and haven't really made friends yet.


I'll be sure to share more apartment pictures soon.

In addition to school I am still running Everyday Hello. I've taken somewhat of a break from it since I've been really focused on lessons, but today finally found the time to finish getting Christmas cards together and posted online. Check them out on my website or buy them at Etsy.


I'll try not to let as much time pass until the next time I post, but I can't promise anything. Hope you all are having a full happy fall. God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment